Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Holiday Stashdown Challenge: Week 7

Marie was stuck for a prompt this week...But she has released them! This week, we're looking at scrap yarn/one skein gift ideas.

And I just realized that this set I just finished is a good example of a one skein gift.
It is a basic hat/fingerless mitt set, with a flower for embellishment. I did the hat first, and then worked the mitts from both ends of the yarn so I would use up all the yarn- and it was nearly exact! One skein of this yarn made both the hat and mitts!


This is the pink colorway from Lion Brand Tweed Stripes. I did not have a pink that matched as well with this one, so I just added the rose to the hat and called it good. The rose is from the May Roses pattern from Lucy @ Attic24, and I love it! I have a handful in my desk drawer, waiting to become something.

Another great scrap/one skein project are these Ripple Lace Fingerless Gloves. I have the smallest hands imaginable, so making gloves using this pattern doesn't take much yarn/time at all. I was testing out some of my birthday yarn using the pattern last night, and I still need to show them to Mom and Sis for approval. The pattern is so simple and pretty, and I think they would look very cool in the Tweed Stripes yarn. Another great thing about this pattern is the instructions allow you to create a pair in any size or length you desire. I can see several pairs of these in my future.

I'm racking my brain, trying to come up with more pattern suggestions, but can't think of anything off the top of my head. I crochet loads more than I knit, so anything that I can think of is going to be small and stripe-y (for crochet). But I do know that there are a number of knitting patterns (scarves and the like) that use only one skein of yarn, or have alterations in the pattern to adjust for more or less yarn. I LOVE using Ravelry's pattern search, because I can narrow down patterns by yardage and weight of yarn-- very handy!

I hope this was helpful and not too ramble-y. I've got a lot going on this week- I just finished taking my first final exam, and turned in one of 2 final papers. The second final paper will be turned in this afternoon, and my other final is on Thursday.

The bachelorette party was this past weekend, and I leave for Detroit Friday afternoon, and my best friend gets married on Saturday!
Bachelorette Party

2 comments:

  1. I love the floral embellishment! What a cute set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are totally on the same page! I think fingerless gloves are the greatest to make and to wear - and everything looks better with a flower. Have a great time at the wedding this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing that you stopped by!
~ Mary