Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Books: A History of The World in 6 Glasses

I'm on spring break (yay!) and I actually have time to read.
My current, non-boring, non-fiction read is A History of the World in 6 Glasses, by Tom Standage.
It's divided into 6 parts, each about one of the beverages that was important during a pivotal point in world history. I'm enjoying it mainly because it isn't bogged down with tons of facts about one time period. It goes through the timeline quickly, and it peppered with witty lines and quotes from ancient (and less ancient) writings.
I've mostly been amused by the little facts that imply why alcohol consumption used to be good for people- beer was 'liquid bread', and helped stabilize the diets of the ancient civilizations; rum, when mixed with sugar and lime juice to make "grog" helped to fight scurvy in sailors.
I'm halfway through the section on 'spirits', which closes out the first half of the book. The second half does not focus on alcohol, but rather tea, coffee, and cola.
I would suggest this if you are a history person. If you are a beer/wine/liquor person, you might enjoy those sections. It's a fun and interesting read- I bet you'll learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love knowing that you stopped by!
~ Mary