Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Reading Weather

With the fall setting in properly, it's time to get snuggly with a blanket, a cup of tea, and a good book. Most of the time, I skip out on the tea, as I read right before bed (in bed).
I can see 4 blankets from this angle.
For my classes, I have 2 textbooks that I'm reading, plus Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin, and parts of the Bible. I just started Bloodlands this week, and there's far more to it than one would expect. There is some talk of the Holocaust, but also a lot on Stalin's Five-Year Plan (which led to mass starvation) and the Gulags. Very heavy, statistically, as well as just depressing. There was so much death.

On a more entertaining note, I've been able to start Dragons of Winter, by James Owen. I've read all the other books in this series: Chronicles of the Imaginiaruim Geographica. I can only imagine the work that goes into writing a book  like this one, and he's written 6 or 7. I'm also reading the Tightwad Gazette, which is ridculously outdated, but still funny and mostly educational. I don't live on my own yet, but I have a feeling I will put many of the ideas in this book to good use when I finally do.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Tightwad gazette is exactly that, but fun reading! I read through it sometime back.

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing that you stopped by!
~ Mary